As a follow-up to our wildly successful impeachment Town Hall meeting with Minneapolis City Council Members Cam Gordon and Elizabeth Glidden and Council Member Remington coming out for impeachment, we’re calling on citizens to do three things:
* Call your Council Member
* Attend the City Council Meetings
* Flyer neighborhoods to spread the word (on car windows, doors, etc). Here’s the flyer (If you hand out the flyer in your neighborhood, circle the councilmember who represents your neighborhood so folks know who represents them.)
Attend the Minneapolis City Council Meetings with impeachment signs and shirts to show support. According to sources on the Minneapolis City Council. The idea is to be a visual advertisement of the call on them to impeach!
Here is the contact info for city council members:
WARD 1, Paul Ostrow, 612-673-2201, [email protected]
WARD 2, Cam Gordon, 612-673-2202, [email protected]
WARD 3, Diane Hofstede, 612-673-2203,
WARD 4, Barbara Johnson, 612-673-2204,
WARD 5, Don Samuels, 612-673-2205, [email protected]
WARD 6, Robert Lilligren, 612-673-2206,
WARD 7, Lisa Goodman, 612-673-2207,
WARD 8, Elizabeth Glidden, 612-673-2208,
WARD 9, Gary Shiff, 612-673-2209,
WARD 10, Ralph Remington, 612-673-2210,
WARD 11, Scott Benson, 612-673-2211,
WARD 12, Sandy Colvin Ray, 612-673-2212,
WARD 13, Betsy Hodges, 612-673-2213,
Reasons for impeachment:
A copy of the impeachment resolution we’re suggesting is here:
Is Bush/Cheney Impeachment a City Council’s Job?
– City Council members take an oath of office promising to “protect and defend the Constitution from enemies foreign and domestic. They don’t take an oath to fix potholes. If the Constitution is in danger then their primary duty is to defend it.
– Cities and towns routinely send petitions to Congress for all kinds of requests. This is allowed under Clause 3, Rule XII, Section 819, of the Rules of the House of Representatives. This clause is routinely used to accept petitions from cities, and memorials from states, all across America.
Is Impeachment a Local Issue?
– If a federal action has a significant negative impact on this city, then it is appropriate for this city to defend itself.
– Citizens from this city may be sent, or have been sent, to Iraq to fight in an illegal war.
– Tax funds from this city that could have been spent locally have been spent in Iraq for war. Tax money from this city has been wasted in no-bid contracts with companies like Halliburton. Yet this city can barely afford the emergency services, libraries, and schools that we need.
– The State National Guard should be available to protect this city from floods or other disasters. But instead, this administration has sent them to Iraq.
For details, contact Jodin Morey of Impeach for Peace:
use our contact page: